Friday, October 14, 2011

Inflation and Real Exchange Rates in China

China's exchange rate policy has been in the news quite a bit recently, thanks to the US Senate's action this week to try to punish China for it. Putting aside the legal issues for a moment, it has been noted by various observers (e.g. Matt Yglesias) that the problem of China's undervalued exchange rate is at least partially resolving itself over time. This week's Economist picks up this theme:
And now, protectionism
America’s latest anti-China bill tackles a problem already being solved

...The problems this bill purports to address are already being resolved. The Economist has long argued that a flexible yuan is in the interests of both China and its trading partners. It would hasten the reorientation of China’s economy from exports to consumer spending, give its central bank more freedom to fight inflation, and divert demand to depressed Europe and America, catalysing an essential rebalancing of the global economy.

Belatedly, China recognises this. Since June last year the yuan has appreciated 7% against the dollar. The rise in China’s relative costs has been even greater given its higher inflation rate. With stimulative fiscal and monetary policy bolstering domestic demand, China’s current-account surplus has shrunk by two-thirds, from 10% of GDP in 2007. Meanwhile America’s trade deficit has narrowed, and manufacturing employment has stopped falling. All this means the yuan is far less undervalued than it was a few years ago—if at all.
If you had asked me yesterday how much the yuan (CNY) had appreciated against the dollar since China released the yuan from its long-standing peg of 8.28 CNY/USD back in 2005, I could have told you that the CNY is now about 20% stronger in nominal terms. But then I would have been quick to add that since inflation in China has been considerably higher than in the US, in real terms -- i.e., in terms of actual purchasing power once inflation is accounted for -- the CNY has probably appreciated by more like 30% to 40%.

It turns out I would have been pretty badly wrong. Last night I pulled data from Principal Global Indicators (an excellent multi-country data site, by the way) on actual inflation in China and the US over the past few years, and this is what the consumer price index looks like in each country (try to look past the terrible seasonal fluctuations in the Chinese data):


It turns out that, at least according to official statistics (and yes, we probably need to take them with a large grain of salt), consumer prices in China have risen only by a total of only 6.7% more than prices in the US since 2005. The inflation differential that had loomed large in my mind is not so great after all.

In addition to the possible unreliability of Chinese inflation statistics, there may be a second explanation for the fact that Chinese inflation has been less different from US inflation than I imagined: changes in consumer prices in both countries since 2005 have been largely driven by changing energy prices. So for example, the US CPI is currently up almost 4% over a year ago thanks to higher energy prices (excluding energy prices, US inflation remains very modest) -- and China has experienced a bulge in its own inflation rate at the same time, in part for exactly the same reason. Similarly, the collapse in energy prices in late 2008 and early 2009 caused inflation rates in both countries to plummet at the same time. In short, the role that energy costs play in consumer price inflation in both countries may explain why inflation rates in the US and China have tracked each other surprisingly closely in recent years, as shown below.


The result is that when the consumer price index is used to measure inflation differentials between China and the US (and yes, I know that the CPI is not the ideal inflation measure to use for that, but Chinese inflation data is woefully limited, and as economists we're forced to look where there's light), the Chinese currency's real exchange rate has only appreciated a little bit more than the nominal exchange rate. The final picture below shows both series, setting January 2007 = 100.


So clearly my guess that China's currency has appreciated against the dollar in real terms by 30% to 40% would have been pretty far off. The real answer is that the real appreciation of the yuan is only a few percent more than the nominal appreciation. Put another way, almost all of the movement in China's real exchange rate has been due to movements in the nominal exchange rate.

So if you're looking for China's undervalued yuan to correct itself over time, you can't count on inflation differentials to do much of the work, at least based on the experience of the past few years. Any significant changes in China's real exchange rate are probably going to have to come from further changes in the nominal CNY/USD rate.

15 comments:

  1. According to Michael Pettis the Yuan should be appreciating due to productivity improvements, so in terms of PPP the exchange rate probably hasn't moved at all, perhaps even moving the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:40 AM

    First, there is more light than you think on unit labor costs, enough to be sure the gap is at least twice what it is for the CPI. Second, your time-line is too long. The big divergence of real and nominal rates starts only summer of 2010. More here http://tiny.cc/eds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:07 AM

    Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i
    came to “return the favor”.I'm attempting to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

    Look at my homepage - easy low carb recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:46 PM

    Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your site. You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely love to
    write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an email if interested. Thanks!

    Here is my web-site ... glutenfreies Rezept

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:34 PM

    I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your website?

    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could
    a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: drinks zum zunehmen
    Also see my page - leicht abnehmen tipps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:23 AM

    Do you have any video of that? I'd like to find out more details.

    Visit my weblog: Was ist die gesunde und einfache glutenfreie Lebensform

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:19 AM

    Hey! Quick question that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a theme
    or plugin that might be able to fix this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share. Thank you!



    Here is my web page paläoernährung

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:37 PM

    My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a variety of websites for about a year and am
    nervous about switching to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my
    wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!


    Also visit my homepage - glutenfreie rezepte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:43 AM

    Hello would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're working with? I've loaded your blog in 3 completely
    different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a fair
    price? Kudos, I appreciate it!

    Feel free to surf to my website: steinzeit ernährung

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:43 AM

    Hello would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're working with? I've loaded your
    blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a fair price?
    Kudos, I appreciate it!

    Look at my webpage - steinzeit ernährung
    my site - low carb shops

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:25 PM

    What's up Dear, are you truly visiting this site daily, if so then you will definitely obtain nice know-how.

    Here is my web page: low carb diätplan
    my page: Diät bei Zöliakie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:09 PM

    Hi just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.

    my web page - worpress themes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:05 PM

    Hello everyone, it's my first visit at this web page, and post is truly fruitful for me, keep up posting such posts.

    Also visit my web blog; gewichtswesten test

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can't
    wait to take a look when I get home. I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even
    using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, amazing site!


    Look at my blog post: bmi chart for women

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:37 AM

    Hello there, I found your website by the use of Google even as looking for
    a similar matter, your site came up, it looks great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Hi there, just became alert to your blog via Google, and
    located that it's really informative. I'm going to be careful for brussels.
    I'll be grateful should you proceed this in future.

    Numerous other folks will probably be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

    my webpage; comptoir granite ou quartz ville de Quebec

    ReplyDelete